The HSE has announced some important updates to the seasonal influenza vaccination programme for the 2020/2021 season which will come into effect in September.
1) The programme is being extended to all children aged between 2-12 years inclusive regardless of medical card/GP visit card status.
2) The vaccine is FREE to all those in the eligible at-risk groups which includes:
- Children aged 2-12 years of age (new)
- persons aged 65 years of age and over.
- Pregnant women
- Children or adults with a long-term health condition.
- People who work in healthcare.
- Carers or household contact of anyone at increased medical risk of flu.
- Nursing home or other long-term care facility residents.
- People in regular contact with pigs, poultry or water fowl.
We recommend that everyone in the at-risk categories avail of this FREE vaccination to protect yourself from the flu virus this winter.